Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Maybe some teen drama is necessary to grow up

I've been thinking a lot about relationhips lately. Teenage relationships in particular. I've been through my fair share of ups and downs when it comes to boys, and I have seen many friends go through the same experiences as well. I've also heard many adults, and even some teens, speak about how silly all of it is as teenagers. "It's such a waste of time. Teenage dating doesn't even count. They're not old enough to understand," say so many people.

This is rubbish. People at any age who are parts of relationships realize that they can be the most rewarding and the most painful experiences a human can go through. I'm sick of people not giving teens respect for relationship issues because it's dismissed a "puppy love" or "lust."

Lately I've been noticing many of my friends going through problems with boyfriends or girlfriends. It kills me that I can't help them through, and I know exactly how terribly they feel in so many situations. When parents dismis it as silly drama, the loyl friend in me wants to punch out the adults for being insensitive. This probably makes me sound young and immature, but maybe that's part of it all.

Of course high school and college dating is going to have some bumps (just the same as adult relationships). But I think we need to go through these bumps while we're young and open-minded, and can learn from them. Most people are going to experience a broken heart at some point in their lives. Experiencing it when they are young is not a bad thing.

Boys are stupid. Girls are stupid. Men and women are stupid too. Nobody can fully unserstand love or how it affects people and relationships. So why give kids a hard time about trying to get a head start in figuring it out.

I'll admit to disliking the nausiating declarations of love after 10 minutes of dating someone, but don't judge all of us teens by that.

And to my friends who are dealing with heartache and confusion right now: I love you, and you will get through. It's going to suck for a while, but we'll figure it out some day. or at least get as close as we're meant to get in figuring it all out.

All you need is love.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're right about adults. You don't know how many times I've seen teachers roll their eyes at couples in the hall who are either fighting or telling each other, "I love you." Without these high school/college relationships you wouldn't be able to have real relationships later on because you wouldn't know how to handle the problems.