Friday, June 8, 2007

Why are some words bad?

I don't really understand why some words in our language are considered off-limits. Curse words, swear words and vulgarity is frowned upon in most situations. Students are given detention for saying certain words in class that are considered indecent, it is inappropriate to swear in front of authority figures and young children and there are so many other situations where swearing is not acceptable.

People argue that refraining from using certain words is a form of respect. I think that is such a stupid argument.

How is holding back and not speaking like yourself respecting someone? When I'm 80 years old I hope that my grandchildren feel comfortable enough with me that they can say naughty words in front of me.

And by the way, how did these words become bad? I don't really get that either. Swear words are usually one of two things. Sometimes they are substitutes for clean words that mean the same thing. For some reason though, the swear word is considered vulgar. Some swear words are used to express annoyance or another strong emotion. I can think of times when I've been upset and swear words come out. I don't really understand why using a word to express my anger or frustration is seen as bad. Would people rather that I go beat someone up or destroy something?

Speaking English can be confusing enough. I say we quit censoring ourselves when it comes to swearing. It's tiring.

No comments: