Friday, June 8, 2007

Plastic vaginas

I was surprised, but not really, when I read that there has been in increase in cosmetic surfery for vaginas. First of all I was shocked to think that a woman would be so unhappy with the appearance of such an important and beautiful part of her body that she would do something as risky as go under the knife to change it. Apparently the risk of infection, loss of sexual sensation, and other possible complications associated with surgery are not enough to deterr a woman intent on changing this part of her body.

Again though, I was not all that surprised when I really thought about it. Women have been getting breast implants for years and risking the same consequences as the vaginal cosmetic surgery. Liposuction, rhinoplasty, collagen injections and all sorts of other cosmetic surgeries place women (and sometimes men) at risk.

I guess the reason that the vaginal cosmetic surgery upset me so much is because it is such a personal part of a woman's body. In most cases, the only person who sees a woman's vagina is herself and her sexual partners. I just think that if a person is going to have sex with someone, ideally, he or she should be able to not worry about appearances of sex organs. They're all beautiful!

But of course, there are going to be people who don't agree with me. Women have been told that their vaginas are ugly since they were children. We just hope the girls figure out on their own that they aren't ugly by the time they reach adulthood. Maybe if society would stop suppressing sexuality so much, people would stop unhealthily obsessing obout things liek appearance of the vagina.

I understand that the surgery for vaginas has its roots in the same reasoning behind breast implants. I'm sure the confidence argument will make its way out soon. Eventually I'll probably be forced to be okay with this increasing surgery, but at the moment it really bothers me that young girls who hear about it may be in their rooms with hand mirrors seeing if their vaginas fit the beautiful image. Long ago, breasts weren't seen as sexual and having to look a certain way either. I guess it's only going to get worse for our daughters and granddaughters.

The people who are closest to me will probably call me a hypocrite for saying this, but I will anyway: Girls, your bodies are beautiful whether they fit the standards of ideal beauty or not. Don't let anyone tell you it isn't.

The risks of surgery aren't worth it!

No comments: